PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the fourth consecutive year, Comcast NBCUniversal has been named to “The Civic 50,” which recognizes the most community-minded companies in the nation, by Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service.
“We are humbled to once again be named to The Civic 50, and celebrate all of our employees who not only have a passion for the work that they do, but also for making a difference in our communities,” said Dalila Wilson-Scott, Senior Vice President of Community Investment for Comcast Corporation, and President, Comcast & NBCUniversal Foundations. “This recognition reinforces our belief that companies should harness their unique assets to strengthen the communities they serve, and we remain committed to using our talent, technology, and reach to drive change and impact.”
Comcast NBCUniversal’s 2016 key milestones and achievements that led to its selection, include:
- Its investment of more than half a billion dollars in cash and in-kind donations to local and national organizations that share the company’s commitment to improving communities and enriching lives.
- The expansion of Comcast’s Internet Essentials, the nation’s largest and most comprehensivebroadband adoption program, to public housing residents through a collaboration with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s ConnectHome program, bringing the number of individuals connected to the internet at home through Internet Essentials to 3 million.
- A culture of philanthropy and service as exemplified through Comcast Cares Day, the country’s largest single-day corporate volunteer effort, with more than 108,000 individuals volunteering at more than 930 projects throughout 540 local communities. To make the greatest difference we can, Comcast NBCUniversal partners with many local nonprofit organizations year-round to revitalize neglected neighborhoods and parks, teach digital literacy skills, paint murals, clean up beaches, install computer labs, stock community food banks, and much more.
- A commitment to bringing customers creative solutions, Comcast NBCUniversal integrates accessibility into all product development work. Comcast’s next-generation X1 Talking Guide and Voice Remote are just two examples of how the X1 platform is changing the way our customers with disabilities explore the world of film and TV.
- Making it possible to tell the stories of families of wounded veterans nationally through NBC News’ media partnership with the Elizabeth Dole Foundation’s Hidden Heroes initiative to expose the tremendous challenges and long-term needs our nation’s military caregivers face every day and to inspire Americans to take action. Comcast Cable is also partnering with Easterseals and Operation Homefront to equip select military caregivers’ homes with accessible technology and our Xfinity suite of services, including Home Security and Automation, Internet, TV, and Voice.
Comcast NBCUniversal partners with a wide range of established community organizations, leveraging their local expertise to deliver maximum impact to local communities, including City Year, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, the National Urban League, National Council of La Raza, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Easterseals, and The Arc. Additional information about Comcast NBCUniversal’s 2016 milestones and continued commitment to local communities can be found in the company’s recently released Corporate Social Responsibility Report.
The recognition comes on the heels of Comcast NBCUniversal being named as one of LinkedIn’s Top Companies for 2017. The company’s focus on building a strong culture, its commitment to local communities, military hiring practices and a diverse supply chain were credited as reasons for its top ten ranking on the annual list.
The Civic 50 provides a national standard for superior corporate citizenship and showcases how companies can use their time, skills and other resources to improve the quality of life in the communities where they do business. Honorees are public and private companies with U.S. operations and revenues of $1 billion or more, and are selected based on four dimensions of their U.S. community engagement programs: investment, integration, institutionalization, and impact.
“In the fifth year of honoring the most community-minded companies in the nation, The Civic 50 truly highlights the commitment to community and civic engagement of America’s leading brands,” said Jennifer Lawson, President of Networks at Points of Light. “By elevating critical stakeholder voices from employees, customers and communities into their mission statements, The Civic 50 companies are putting themselves at the center of change to create more enduring and sustainable business models.”
The survey was administered by True Impact, which specializes in helping organizations maximize and measure their social and business value. The survey consists of quantitative and multiple-choice questions. The Civic 50 is the only survey and ranking system that exclusively measures corporate involvement in communities.
To learn more about The Civic 50, visit www.Civic50.org.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation’s largest video, high-speed internet, and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand, and also provides these services to businesses. It also provides wireless and security and automation services to residential customers under the XFINITY brand. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation primarily invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on their communities. The Foundation has three community investment priorities—expanding digital literacy, promoting service, and building tomorrow’s leaders. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated more than $200 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. More information about the Foundation and its programs is available at www.comcast.com/community.